Monday, June 1, 2009

Excerpt #1: 12/18/95

An excerpt from my 15th year of life. I had fallen madly in love with the Brazilian foreign exchange student that had a locker across the hall from me. He had an olive complexion with dark eyes, dark eyebrows, a perfectly-shaped mouth, and a lovely ponytail that held some pretty thick, curly, black hair back from his shoulders (I suppose my interest in Latin American men stems further back than I'd originally thought...). I'm over the long-hair-thing now, by the way.


".... I'm nearly in love with him. He is so hot. I analyze his every move, trying to find out something about his personality and how he is. I want to talk to him now that my stupid braces are off. I don't want him to think I'm a total senseless dork. His hair turns me on so much. What the hell is it with me and long hair? I love it so damn much! It is SOOOO sexy! If I approach him in the morning when I have just put my make-up and perfume on, he's bound to like me....."


"... Come to think of it, if he was giving me some of that weird eye contact before, he shouldn't have a problem with lending me a pen or pencil. I always chicken out from talking to him when I see him. That would be cool if he were secretly in love with me, and when I finally did talk to him he grabs me without warning and starts frenching me. But then my retainer would get in the way!"


I wonder what ever happened to that kid. I remember that later on, I did work up the nerve to ask him to the Homecoming dance (in a handwritten letter, delivered one second before scurrying away to class, of course), but he didn't seem to be interested. Maybe he works at a guesthouse down in Rio someplace, regretting that he never gave that toothy, bubbly American girl a chance back in 1995. Or maybe he couldn't read any English and still wonders to this day what the hell was written in that crinkly, sweaty note that was shoved into his hand against his will.

4 comments:

  1. This is cute, Jill! I, too, had those adolescent dreams of my crush suddenly expressing his love to me and pulling me in his embrace! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Oh, the retainer! This is, you know, a major concern for guys in that split-second before they decide to grab a girl and start frenching her OR turn around and walk sorrowfully off to class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mangled tongue he would have ended up with if he had fulfilled my fantasy. I think it would have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jill - I managed to figure out how to subscribe and comment to your blogs! (I had to set up a google account.) Your writing is great...looking forward to more! Do you remember the exchange student's name...maybe you could look him up on facebook/myspace?

    ReplyDelete