Saturday, February 6, 2010

Revenge of the Nerd: Excerpt from 1/1/97

What better way to entertain myself on a Saturday night than read an old diary entry from January of 1997? Can you think of a better way?

In order to fully appreciate the following blurb from my diary, there is some background information setting the scene that you MUST know about first.

My friend Jodi, from church, had invited me over to her house for a New Year's Eve party. Her extremely laidback mother had also allowed boys to attend, and even stay overnight (ooooooh). We also had alcohol - that was the kicker. I can't remember if the mom knew about that part or not. Probably.

Anyway, Jodi, my friend from church, decided it'd be a good idea to set me up with one of the attendees, Ryan. Ryan was what we called a "whigger," regularly skipped school, smoked pot, dealed pot, and treated women like crap. My kinda man in 1997.

Ryan's male cousin, Ashley (first time I'd ever heard the name "Ashley" for a boy), was also present at the party, and showed interest in Jodi. In retrospect, Ashley would have been a better mate for me, and I might have even married him someday. But alas, this was 1997 and the part of my brain that handles good judgement had not fully developed yet.

The evening following the New Year's Eve party, the four of us went out on a double date. Somewhere along the way, I found out that Ryan actually had a girlfriend, despite the fact he'd been messing around with me at the underage alcohol party at Jodi-my-friend-from-church's house.

(Some parts of this entry will not be entered as to avoid redundancy, embarrassment, and unnecessary expletives):


"...I already knew I didn't want him in my life but we were there and I was feeling saucy, so I didn't resist. He was pretty talkative for a while, but in Tricky's
(a local pool hall for teens), he started getting quiet. After Tricky's, we went to Meijer (a local department store similar to Walmart).

In Meijer, the grand piss-off began. Ashley was so nice to me - you'd never know he and Ryan were even related. Well, I think something I said to Ryan on the way to Meijer did something.

I said, 'So why aren't you out with your girlfriend tonight?'

His eyes popped open so wide and he goes, "Oh wow" and never answered me. I said, 'You must not like her very much because you didn't spend New Year's with her," and he says, "Well, why are you with me if you knew I had a girlfriend?'

And I said, 'Because I don't care if you're going out with someone. I really could care less.'

Well, in Meijer, after looking for quilted flannels (for me) for about 15 min., he began to drift. I thought that was awfully rude. Jodi and Ashley were doing great because Ashley's such a nice guy and Jodi's a great chick. So I just said, "Forget it" to myself and ignored him for the rest of the night. That wasn't hard because he basically did the same to me.

He walked about three car lengths away from me in the parking lot, he didn't touch me or say one word the whole way home, and at Jodi's I sat on the floor instead of next to him on the couch. I wasn't actually angry; I was actually kind of relieved that this jerk-off didn't totally latch onto me or really like me.

So around 11:00, I decided to head on home. Ashley said it was nice meeting me and would see me next year. I said nothing to Silent Little Faggot on the couch.

When I walked outside, I had this urge. I was actually plotting this before I walked out the door, but seeing his car parked there really gave me the urge. I wanted to take something out of his car. No one could see me. There were no windows they could see out of from where they were sitting. Everyone else was sleeping.

So I opened the passenger door of his car, not believing I was going through with it. But having the perfect opportunity pushed me. I couldn't believe how clean his interior was. I was expecting to be able to grab something and leave. But there was nothing to grab!

So I opened the middle console and saw a whole bunch of tapes. Immediately, I started taking them out until I couldn't hold any more in my hands. Then I shut the console, shut the door quietly, and opened my door and shoved them in.

I was shaking. I was sure someone had been watching from somewhere. Well, I finally left. As I'm going down the road, I'm thinking, 'I can't keep these! I have to get rid of them!' So when I got to Moffitt's Corners
(a local party store), I pulled over and checked out just which ones I'd taken. I think there was Def Leppard, Too Short, Dr. Dre, MTV Hits or something, a cassette player cleaner - he'll miss that one - a couple of unidentifyable ones, and a White Zombie one - that one I kept.

The rest, I held between my legs while going down Van Dyke. I rolled my window down and started tossing them out 2-3 at a time. After they all got tossed, I turned around and went home. I thought that I'd walk in the door and find out that they'd called to let me know they did see me take those tapes, or to ask me why I was in Ryan's car. But none of this happened, of course..."



I never did hear anything about any missing tapes. However, Jodi did mention about a week later that he had been angry with me for mentioning his girlfriend, and also said she didn't think it was "very cool" of me to do so, either. Gee, sorry for being the only one thinking of the "other woman" the entire time. How terribly rude of me!

I still see Jodi from time to time when I visit my parents' church. She attends intermittently, bringing along her six-year-old son from a failed marriage, which I believe was a result of her husband selling date-rape drugs through the mail and eventually getting caught. As selfish as it sounds, I'm glad I changed my taste in men before it was too late.

I wonder what ever happened to Ashley?

No comments:

Post a Comment